Thursday, March 31, 2011

Healthy(ish) Cupcakes (& Killer Frosting!)

So I found a recipe for chocolate cupcakes that uses a substitute for oil or butter. At first I was a little hesitant to try it, merely for the "gross factor" that ran through my head. But after a few days I decided to give it a try. They are FABULOUS!! Now, please don't think of me any differently when I tell you what is in them… black beans!
Some of you have already tried them - back me up on this!!! They are good! Luckily my kids love beans, but if your's don't - this is a great way to get in some protein and fiber. Just try it :)

Just a side note that confused me: keep the bean in the can when you refill with water. The first time I thought it was an extra can of water, but its not… I got this recipe from the Deals to Meals blog. She dedicated the whole month of March to bean recipes, so go check it out! White bean cookies, brownies, soups - its all there.

Now on to the frosting. This is sooooo good! Maybe it is what I like about the cupcakes… This recipe isn't from the Pioneer Woman, but she did review and said it is the best ever. And it is.


Now I am aware that is in no way healthy, but I figure since it is (supposed to be) 90% cupcake and 10% frosting you are still good to go. Justification rules! If you give them a try, let me know what you think!!!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Chelsea! I live by adding pureed vegetables to my families meals. It's a great way to get those extra nutrients into the kiddos bellies just in case they decide to avoid the veggies on their plate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made black bean brownies and black bean fudge before and never told my family I had put beans in them and they ate them all up! The only mistake I made once was not making sure I got the plain beans. Some of the beans come with onions in them that I didn't realize they had until I read the back of the lable in the ingredients. I still made the brownies and everyone ate them just the same, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited to try!! My Sister-in-law has made cakes with beets, and have been great! Any healthy change is good!

    ReplyDelete